Hello spring. Grass is getting greener, birds are getting chirpier and flowers start appearing in the gardens. For me, early spring is the time to switch more into fresher vegetable dishes and salads.
Our travels from the past year have introduced a lot more Mediterranean diet with influences from North Africa and Middle East, and here’s yet another tasty creation worth trying. This is definitely an easy, yet very tasty recipe suitable for beginners like me who haven’t been very experimental with their cooking:
The 10 minute Avodaco-Rucola Salad – ingredients:
- 3 Medium-sized tomatoes
- 5 Spring onions
- 1 avocado
- Pumpkin seeds
- Rucola 2 handfuls
- Olive oil
- Ground sea salt
- Lemon juice
- Secret ingredient: Middle-Eastern spice mix – the Zahatar seasoning (if you can’t find this in the store, here’s one recipe to make it yourself)
- Chop tomatoes and the spring onions finely – we have fallen in love with the Swizzz Prozzz Chopper/ Slicer, which takes less than a minute to do the work (and is super easy to clean too)
- Peel off the avocado skin and chop and add into the salad bowl
- Sprinkle a handful of pumpkin seeds into the salad and add the rucola and mix
- Season the salad to your like: add some lemon juice and olive oil, grind some sea salt & spoonful of Zahatar spice mix and the salad is all ready to be served!
The salad works as a stand-alone dish, but we prepared it this time with a freshly fried small chicken breast and courgette and green pea risotto made with Spanish arborio Rice – and flavoured with onions, parmesan and white wine.